Spread out to the south of Montepulciano lie the tracts of land with their traditional farmhouses that make up the estate of Poggio Alla Sala that was once owned by the nobleman Pietro Bonci-Casuccini a brilliant agricultural entrepreneur and erudite etruscanologist. Toward the end of the 1700s Poggio Alla Sala was already developing agronomics with particular interest in the cultivation of olives and vines. In 1819 the estate recieved a prized letter of award and a gold medal from the Accademia dei Georgofili and from the Regio Governo di Siena. The careful selection of Prugnolo Gentile and Canaiolo Nero, the excellent soil composition, and the wonderful exposure create the acclaimed Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano. In the 1960s Poggio alla Sala collected numerous prizes and mentions both nationally and internationally. Today Luca and Gionata Gattavecchi , the present owners, are carrying on the winemaking traditions, extending the cultivated lands and vines with continuing passion, respect and dedication to the environment while producing the best wines. Poggio Alla Sala is situated in Località Argiano in the territory of the Comune of Montepulciano. The total lands are around 100 hectares of which 40 are cultivated with vines producing grapes to make Vino Nobile, Rosso di Montepulciano, Chianti Colli Senesi and Vin Santo di Montepulciano .