The “Vecchia Cantina di Montepulciano” is the biggest vine-growing and wine-producing business within the Poliziana region, a modern company rich in ancient traditions; in fact it was founded in 1937 thanks to the initiative of a group of local vine-growers, who liked good wines and it was the first wine cellar in Tuscany to adopt the administrative system of the co-operative society. It produces the Montepulciano D.O.C. (controlled denomination of origin) and D.O.C.G. (controlled and guaranteed denomination of origin) wines, among which there are the Vino Nobile, the first Italian wine to obtain the Controlled and Guaranteed Denomination of Origin in 1980. it has its seat in Montepulciano, not far from the historical centre, in a modern building inaugurated in 1971, which houses its administrative bureaus, a shop, a storage department, a room for the bottling of wine and wine recipients, which can contain up to 72000 hl of wine. In 1974, due to a rise in the number of the vine-growers who became members of the society, the company, in order to administer the increase in production capacity, acquired a new structure, destined to the sole wine-making process, located in Montepulciano Scalo, right in the middle of the wine-production area. The wine-making process makes use of equipments complying with the principles of the so-called mild-technologies. In the principal wine cellar, an underground gallery houses a wonderful room, where wine is refined in Slavonia-oak barrels in absolute silence.
Production Area: Acquaviva, Gracciano, Argiano, Il Greppo, Ascianello, Bossona, Martiena, Caggiole, Canneto, Pietrose, Ciarliana, San Savino, Civettaio, Valiano, Cervognano, Nottola, Fonte al Giunco.